Find a Doctor

Andrology Australia is not a clinical service and therefore we are unable to provide advice on individual medical queries or to recommend medical practitioners.

However, if you have any concerns about your health, it is important that you get a medical check to diagnose the problem and work out what type of treatment may be needed.

We understand that it can be uncomfortable talking to your doctor about some health concerns. Having some questions written down when you go to see the doctor may help to start the discussion. Our male health fact sheets may help you to think of some questions to ask before seeing your doctor.

How to find a doctor

If you don’t have a doctor at the moment, try searching the ‘Find a Doctor’ directory on this page (provided by the National Health Services Directory).

We also suggest that you ask around—ask your family, friends, or workmates for a recommendation. There’s no need to be shy or embarrassed; everyone needs to see a doctor now and then.

Tips and advice

For general advice on finding a doctor, see the following articles:


  • It is important to get a second opinion if you have any concerns about the suggested treatment or if the recommendations seem unusual.
  • You do not need to sign contracts for long-term treatment of reproductive health problems (such as erectile dysfunction and androgen deficiency), which can be managed by your local GP or specialist. Care should be taken in responding to adverts that promise a better sex life without checking the qualifications and suitability of the health professional.
  • Be careful if buying medicines on the Internet: there is no guarantee that the product purchased will work well or is safe. Prescription medicines should be filled at an Australian pharmacy.

Find the right kind of doctor

To help you find the right kind of doctor or specialist in your local area who may be able to help with your concerns, we suggest that you contact the organisations listed below.

You will need a referral from a GP to see a specialist (such as a urologist or endocrinologist).

General Practitioners

A general practitioner (GP) is normally your first point of contact on anything medical.

Contact The Royal Australian College of General Practitioners (RACGP) in your state or use the Medicare Local map locator to find your nearest Medicare Local to ask for a list of local GPs.

Your local GP can also help identify and refer you to an appropriate specialist (such as a urologist or endocrinologist).


A doctor who specialises in the urinary tract in men and women, and the genital organs in men.

The Urological Society of Australia and New Zealand (USANZ) has a Find A Surgeon page on its website. On the USANZ website, you will be able to access a list of urologists that are registered with the Society in each State.


A doctor who specialises in problems of the endocrine system (hormones and body functions controlled by hormones).

The Endocrine Society of Australia has a Search For An Endocrinologist page on its website.

Fertility specialists (and IVF Clinics)

Fertility specialists work with couples who are finding it difficult to have a baby together. Fertility specialists are usually associated with an assisted reproductive technology (ART) or IVF clinic.

The Fertility Society of Australia has a list of accredited ART units in each state.

Semen Storage

Specialist reproductive centres providing assisted reproductive technology (ART) or IVF usually offer long-term sperm storage facilities.

The Fertility Society of Australia has a list of accredited ART units in each state.

Sexual Health Medicine

Check the Register of Public Sexual Health Clinics in Australia and New Zealand from the Australasian Chapter of Sexual Health Medicine, The Royal Australasian College of Physicians.

Last modified: December 15, 2014
Website by Essendon Creative